Every once in a while, I have a meltdown in the kitchen. I can usually handle it when things don’t go well, but this dish got the best of me. I first tried this recipe on Sunday, and much to my frustration it just wasn’t working out. The filling was too runny. I knew it as soon as I started stuffing the ravioli, but I kept going anyway. A verbal tirade ensued once I went to cut the squares and the runny filling oozed out from all sides. This was a stupid recipe with stupid instructions and stupid ingredients. Everything about it was stupid. Especially the corn. That was the stupidest part of all.
The corn, once pulverized, released quite a bit of water which I believe was the culprit of making the filling too runny. I made a half-ass effort to try and thicken it up by grating some parmesan cheese into it, but to no avail. I didn’t have anything else on hand to help thicken it up so I kept on going.
For each ravioli that held together, 2 more went into the pile of failures, seeping filling out onto my work area. Terry, bless her heart, trying to be helpful, suggested putting them in the oven and baking them. I wasn’t hearing it. “Just throw them in the oven and bake ‘em up, if they don’t work out, they don’t work out!” No. Thanks and please leave me alone. They were stupid and that was all there was to it.
Once I finally got enough that held together (probably about 14 out of at least 48), I went to work on the sauce. If there was a redeeming element in this process, it was the sauce. I topped the pasta with it, served Terry and sat down and pouted over my bowl. Not too proud of that, but hey, ravioli are a lot of work and when it doesn’t go right, it’s maddening.
As stupid as I was feeling this whole deal to be, the flavor was really good and the sauce was truly delectable. In fact, I’d use this sauce again – I think it’d be great over some grilled asparagus. As we finished up, I announced I would be making this dish again tomorrow. I had a plan for how to fix it up and show that recipe who was boss.
I figured the key to saving this filling was to add more ricotta cheese. Part of my other theory about why this failed is because I used light ricotta cheese instead of whole milk ricotta as the recipe suggested. Although, I’ve used light ricotta before and never had this problem with consistency, so that’s why I think it was the corn.
Anyway – I had way better results this time. The filling was still a little too runny, but it definitely held up much better. So the lesson learned here is when I make this again (or if you decide to try it yourself), put the corn in a salad spinner or pat it dry with some paper towels before mixing in the other ingredients.
Recipe courtesy of Love and Olive Oil, full ingredient list and instructions can be found here!